Jinn possession of a human is proven in the Qur’an and Sunnah, and by the consensus of Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah and by the eyewitness. No one disputes this apart from the Mu’tazilah who give priority to their own rational analysis over the evidence of the Qur’aan and Sunnah. “Those who eat Ribaa will not stand (on the Day of Resurrection) except like the standing of a person beaten by Shaytaan (Satan) leading him to insanity. That is because they say: ‘Trading is only like Ribaa’…” [Al-Baqarah 2:275]
Al-Qurtubi said in his Tafseer (part 3, p. 355): “This ayah is proof that those people are wrong who deny that epilepsy is caused by the jinn and claim that its causes are only physical, and that the Shaytaan does not enter people or cause madness.” Ibn Katheer said in his Tafseer (part 1, p. 32), after mentioning the aayah quoted above: “They will not rise from their graves on the Day of Resurrection except like the way in which the epileptic rises during his seizure, when he is beaten by the Shaytaan. This is because they will rise in a very bad state. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: the one who consumes ribaa will rise on the Day of Resurrection crazy and choking.”
Ibn Taymiyah (Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 42/276) said: “The fact that jinn can enter human bodies is proven by the consensus of Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): ‘those who eat Ribaa will not stand (on the Day of Resurrection) except like the standing of a person beaten by Shaytaan (Satan) leading him to insanity. That is because they say: ‘Trading is only like Ribaa’…’ [Al-Baqarah 2:275]. And in as-Saheeh it is narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘The Shaytaan flows through the son of Adam as the blood flows through his veins.’”
‘Abd-Allaah ibn al-Imaam Ahmad ibn Hanbal said; “I said to my father, ‘There are some people who say that the jinn do not enter the body of the epileptic.’ He said: ‘O my son, they are lying; the jinn could speak through this person.’” Commenting on this, Ibn Qudaamah said: “What he said is well known, because a person may suffer an epileptic seizure and speak in a language that no one understands, and his body may be beaten with blows that would fell a camel, but the epileptic does not feel them at all, and he is also unaware of the words he is saying. The epileptic and others may be dragged about, or the carpet on which he is sitting may be pulled, and utensils may be moved about from place to place, and other things may happen. Anyone who witnesses such a thing will know for sure that the one who is speaking through the person and moving these things is not human.” And he said may Allaah have mercy on him: “There is no one among the imams of the Muslims who denies that jinn may enter the body of the epileptic and others. Anyone who denies that and claims that Islam denies it is lying about Islam. There is nothing in the proofs of sharee’ah to show that it does not happen.”
1. Regional possession (ta’ifa): i.e. “passing by, comes and goes (not permanent) Allah (SAW) mentions in the Qur’an about a regional touches by the devil in this verses
Surat Al-‘A`rāf 7:200 Sahih International And if an evil suggestion comes to you from Satan, then seek refuge in Allah. Indeed, He is Hearing and Knowing.
Surat Al-‘A`rāf 7:201 Sahih International Indeed, those who fear Allah – when an impulse touches them from Satan, they remember [Him] and at once they have insight
Sahih International Surat Al-Mu’minūn 23:96 Repel, by [means of] what is best, [their] evil. We are most knowing of what they describe. Sahih International Surat Al-Mu’minūn 23:97 And say, “My Lord, I seek refuge in You from the incitements of the devils, Sahih International Surat Al-Mu’minūn 23:98 And I seek refuge in you, my Lord, lest they be present with me.” Sahih International l Surat Fuşşilat 41:34 And not equal are the good deed and the bad. Repel [evil] by that [deed] which is better; and thereupon the one whom between you and him is enmity [will become] as though he was a devoted friend.
Sahih International Surat Fuşşilat 41:35 But none is granted it except those who are patient, and none is granted it except one having a great portion [of good]. Sahih International Surat Fuşşilat 41:36 And if there comes to you from Satan an evil suggestion, then seek refuge in Allah . Indeed, He is the Hearing, the Knowing. Ibn Kathir in his Tafseer says: Allaah tells us about His pious servants who obey him as He ordered and left what is forbidden and if thing was to befall them from the touch of shaytan, epilepsy, anger, sadness, regret of sin, thinking of doing a sin and then they turn back to Him. The scholars have said that all these understanding of the verses that were mentioned above, are possible.
Regional possession: i.e. “passing by Is a type of possession that occurs as a seizure in ones sleep when one can’t breathe, move or speak. It happens so quick it could be just seconds or minutes, in some cases if not all the jinn does this form outside, usually it is a flying type jinn.
2. Projectory possession (aarid) A true type of possession that is passing by which take possession of a person for a specific time for hours during the day or night then leaves the body and comes back the next day, week, month, year or perhaps leaves the body and does not come back at all. May Allah keep them out. From research some patient feel the departure of the jinn leaving the body in the form of a sensation resembling that of a sudden shaking or shiver of one of the legs, or a strong air leaving through the mouth….etc., especially when the jinn knows that he/she will be recited on, he/she leave the body.
3. Accompanying possession (ikthiraan) Is a true type of possession that the jinn permanently takes possession of one part of the body such as the leg, womb, spine or it can take possession of the whole body, day and night when asleep or awake, it becomes as if it is a part of the body.
4. External possession (khariji) External possession is a type of possession where the jinn accompanies the person full time or part time. It is mentioned in a hadith in sahih Muslim narrated by Huthayfah, that when they sat down with the prophet (PBUH) to eat they will wait until the prophet started, a young girl was approaching the food as if she was getting pushed from an unknown force, as she reached out for the food the prophet (PBUH) grabbed her hand, the same happened to a Bedouin Arab, he reached his hand to grab the food, the prophet (PBUH) grabbed his hand too. The prophet (PBUH) said that the shaytan make lawful for themselves food that has not been mentioned the name of Allah. The jinn has the ability to take form of a human being or animal, that can have a physical touch on a person, or he can sit on a person’s back, causing heaviness, tightness of the chest, whispering, anger, or comes to a person when he is asleep and presses on a point in the brain to cause seizure. The shaytan can take form of an insect or animal and moves around the person’s body and clothing, causing scratches, bruises or blows in his face to frighten the person so that he/she can’t go to sleep, the jinn can take form of a beautiful woman/man to have sexual relationships with.
5.Transitus possession (mu’tadi) This type of possession is where more than one person is afflicted simultaneously by a single jinn mostly from the same relation of the one who is suffering. For one reason or another this is why it is called transitus (Meaning: to pass over or cross through). It could be one or more jinn that can be accompanied with a group (family, gang, clan, slaves or prisoners) in this possession. It could be an external attack, that’s why a person can go to a raqi but to no affect, because the jinn is in the wife/ husband / mother / friend ect….
6.Imaginary possession (wahmi) “This type is of delusion is the most dangerous and the most common”: Imaginary epilepsy is the result of mixing with those who are possessed, then starting to imagine oneself is afflicted with the same symptoms, or the healer suggests to the patient that he/she is afflicted. Perhaps this one of the ways the shayateen take advantage from the situation by taking authority over the mind to make him think that it is a fact that he is possessed, when reading on him/her the person will fall, scream and shout as if it is a jinn. Imaginary possession is the worst type of illness. It starts of with an idea then it becomes a belief leading to actions, which is all an autosuggestion. There is no cure for this but for the opposite of the real possession, sihr and ayn witchcraft, Allah has given us the cure (Ruqya).
7. False pretense Some patient who go back and fourth to the Raqi, with their own agenda and goals by coming attending the sessions when reading on them occurs they scream and shout saying I am here for such and such siher, but really the patient is not possessed or afflicted in anyway by any member the world of the unseen. This is a very dangerous situation for the person who’s acting and lying, the jinn may see this as a mockery to their world, it is possible they will attack and cause harm. All of this is to seek attention from others, or to have an excuse for their bad actions.